 Pirates / 509
Re: "Hard a starboard" (was John E. Doolittle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:16:27 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:

Ok, I found a nice little web page which describes how the confusion came
about, it even details why I thought I remembered something about the
command given to the Titanic helmsman was incorrect (though it doesn't
explicitly mention that, it does mention one of the references that I might
have heard this from). Anywise, what it comes down to is that when you have
a tiller, you need to turn the tiller opposite the direction you want the
boat to go. When you have a whipstaff or wheel, you turn the whipstaff or
wheel in the direction you want to go. However, the command given to turn
the rudder was historically always given in reference to a tiller, so you
turn a whipstaff or wheel opposite the command.

Here's the reference:

http://users.senet.com.au/~gittins/wheel.html

Incidentally, looking through several books on ships I have, every
illustration, which shows enough of the steering gear to figure out which
way you turn it to turn the rudder, shows that you turn a whipstaff or wheel
in the direction you want the ship to go.

Frank

Well done.  Thanks for the excellent refernce.  Yes, the America's Cup boats
turn in the direction of the wheel.  I learned to sail before I could drive, so
the opposite direction tiller thing never bugged me.

Bruce