 Pirates / 416
Re: John E. Doolittle.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:24:09 GMT

Richard Parsons wrote:

Tony Priestman wrote
Mr L F Braun wrote
Ooops-the Dutch East India Company operating out of London?  I don't think • so--for a long time the British and Dutch companies were arch-rivals

Double oops. I missed that. It's got to be the Dutch one though, it's
another reason why the Brickish navy isn't too bothered :-)

Mmmm, wasn't particularly paying attention myself.  Did you know that when
at 2am the edge kind of goes off your attention to detail?

Yeah--it's understandable.  Granted, if I made that particular gaffe at *any*
time of day, I'd probably be forced to turn in my Imperial Historian Employment
Card.  Let's hope they don't find out about my "Boer War starting in 1999"
ooops.

<<presents posterior for impact adjustment>>.

I've gone for it being an East India Company vessel - it still seems to hang
together.

http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/doo/welcome.htm

I guess attention should be turning to Doolittle's 'do little' aspect.

What sort of grand theft naval did he get up to while demonstrating great
economy of effort?

How about a story where Doolittle has a moral imperative that, unfortunately,
requires he "borrow" a much larger ship for a while?  For greater dramatic
effect, make it a large Brickish ship, and have everything turn nearly
pear-shaped but come out OK in the end.  Maybe have him chasing a slaver (which
could place it anywhere from West Africa to Formosa)?

best

LFB