 Pirates / 513
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:25:08 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Richard Parsons (<Fp4ws7.16n@lugnet.com>) wrote at
06:03:01

How about a barge-like monitor?

No sails or rigging to set afire while arguing with the bad guys.  You could
tow it (a considerable distance) behind your ship, or anchor it in position
and leave it.  Ideal for leaving in harbour mouths.

But what about the poor souls you'd have to leave on it to fire the
ordnance? They'd almost certainly be captured.

You could  tow it into battle, and leave it among the bad guys.  I'm
thinking fireship, only better.

This is more like it. I can see a tactic involving two ships and a
barge.

The first ship tows the barge. Obviously, it's slowed down by this.

The barge is crewed by a few petty officers and gunners, to let the
rockets off, and keep the barge pointing in the right direction, etc.

In the event of having to leave the barge in a hurry, because it's
caught fire, or you're being chased by a superior force, the second
ship, which is stationed a reasonable distance upwind, can come in and
collect the crew of the barge, without the first ship having to loose
time manoeuvring back to pick them up.

This would have to be an idea use for 10 wide hull pieces, wouldn't it?  And
a much more sensible use for spare hulls, that leaving them lying to rot
anchored in the Thames, full of prisoners we can't be bothered to transport,
surely.

Hangin's too good for 'em :-)

--
Tony Priestman