 Pirates / 474
Re: John E. Doolittle (Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:05:52 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
Guys,

Now I know replying to your own posts is not exactly de rigeur, but I could
use the expertise of someone who knows something about sailing ships.

John E Doolittle has managed to rescue the (I've had just about enough of
thinking of superlatives for tonight) Aurora, but in writing up the tactics
and battle, I fear my reach has exceeded my grasp.

http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/doo/do6.htm

No doubt some of you will recognise the mistakes of language, structure and
tactics - pointers would be helpful :-)

A warning, do6 alone is now 30(odd)k of text.  I'll fully understand if the
reading and offering corrections takes a bit of time.

regards

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/

Wading through long, long story trying to figure out where this battle is...

Hard a'starboard.  A command that will actually turn the boat to the left
(port, larboard).  The command is which way to turn the wheel, not the boat.  I
think (and here I was watching the America's Cup last night and didn't notice
how it works on modern ships - yes, it's a sloop, not a ship, dang).

Notes on how it is to catch a slaver from behind?  "Here be yer freedom, jus'
hold this cannonball and walk off that plank o'er there."  :-0

Cables, not yards.  Unfortunately, I forget how long a cable is.

Cannons were brought up on deck?  Maybe a swivel gun, but these things weighed
tons.

Hmmmm, I'll have to read this more thoroughly.  You don't want me to get into
my editor's mode where I start stepping all over the purple prose (heavy-handed
training from computer games).  :-)

Bruce