 Pirates / 481
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:03:07 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote in message ...
Hard a'starboard.  A command that will actually turn the boat to the left
(port, larboard).  The command is which way to turn the wheel, not the • boat.  I
think (and here I was watching the America's Cup last night and didn't • notice
how it works on modern ships - yes, it's a sloop, not a ship, dang).

Really?  So I turn the wheel left to steer right.  I didn't know that.  I
though only airplanes were that cock-eyed.

And despite having taken the wheel of HMS Bounty (the one they built for the
Mel Gibson version) on Sydney Harbour for half an hour one lovely afternoon,
including for some hard braking, I never noticed this.

Is that why the helmsman was looking so strained, do you think?

(When you come to Australia, include Sydney in the itinerary, and make sure
you have lunch aboard the Bounty.  Not dinner - take one of the modern
cruisers for the harbour lights cruise.  Have lunch, in the sun, on the hot
deck, look up into the heaving rigging and imagine what it must have been
like.  You'll notice I'm using the imperative.  I'm not asking, I'm telling.
Do it.  You'll love it. :-)

Conceptualising naval battles is never particularly easy.  Its probably even
harder since I just made it up (I bet _that's_ a shock ;-), and quite
conceivably got parts of it upside down and inside out.  How about if I drew
a picture?  Although maps of naval battles aren't all that helpful either
sometimes.  I'll have a go.

regards

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/
Note the change in URL - Port Block is moving (to new and larger
accommodations)
Do adjust your set.