 Pirates / 437
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 05:43:39 GMT

<38824981.7374FB63@pilot.msu.edu> <FoGAr7.1Fv@lugnet.com>

Richard Parsons wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote

What could bring him into the same orbit as a slaver? • <<snip>>
It's got everything--morality, secrecy, gallant chases, a pitched sea
battle, a happy ending, *and* a tweak of the nose of an amoral
Establishment.

COOL.  In fact this is SO cool, it probably deserves the two syllable
rating; COOO-WEL.

Thank God it wasn't any better, or you would have "kewled" me or something (or
is that a "1.5" cool?).  It seems like a logical trajectory, and is the very
sort of thing that Victorians would have loved to read--come to think of it,
we love to see these sorts of things in literature and on the Big Screen even
today.

Agamemnon under Doolittle v a 2 deck slaver!  I wonder whether the Captain
of the Agamemnon might not team up with Doolittle after the capture of the
big ship, to work together to bring the slavers in.  He'd always been keen
to go but his orders specifically prohibited it etc

Well, the motivation of the characters are the privilege of the Legoverse's
creator.  ;)  But it would be interesting to see--a testament to the hero's
ability to persevere.

Even more interesting of a challenge would be if (as often happened when
slavers were being pursued in the mid-19th to early-20th C.--yes, twentieth
century--by British ships) the slavers begin throwing "ballast" overboard to
gain speed and manoeuverability when their situation looks hopeless--thus
creating the quandary:  Does Doolittle stop to save the drowning captives, or
does he continue forth for justice?  Or (as all good and intelligent heroes
can) can he somehow do it all--maybe by someone back at the coast, perhaps a
trusted crewmember who was supposed to watch over the Aurora, instead taking
her to sea without Doolittle's knowledge, and shadowing him when the slaver
makes the moral gambit, expecting to escape the "soft and weak" moralist?

That would provide you both with an illustration of the slavers' inhumanity
*and* the triumph of loyalty to a great leader by his crew--by being
righteous, Doolittle is rewarded by inspiring initiative and greatness around
him.  A truly epic story?

best,

Lindsay