 Pirates / 483
Re: John E. Doolittle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:36:02 GMT

Quoting from the book [1]:

<quote>

Units of Linear Measure
  1 chain = 100 links
          = 66 feet
   1 mile = 80 chains
          = 5280 feet

Units of Area
       1 acre = 10 square chains
              = 43,560 square feet
1 square mile = 640 acres

The chain unit, devised in the seventeenth century, by Edmund Gunter,
an English astronomer, is so designed that 10 square chains are
equivalent to one acre. In the english colonial area of the United
States the boundries of land were usually measured in the chain unit,
lengths of lines were expressed in poles. One pole is equal to 25 links,
and four poles equals one chain. The field notes of some early
rectangular surveys in the southern States show the distance in
"perches," equivalent to poles. The term now commonly used for the same
distance is the rod.

</quote/

It goes on to talk about the french using "arpents" and the spanish and
mexican using "varas".

Does this help ?

Ray

[1] Manual of Instructions for the Survey of the Public Lands of the
United States, 1973. B.L.M. Technical Publication 6, US Dept of the Interior.

Richard Parsons wrote:

Tony Priestman wrote
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote

Cables, not yards.  Unfortunately, I forget how long a cable is.

200 yards.

Cool.

Anyone know how long a chain was?  How about a league?  And a fathom was
about 6 feet, yes?

And thanks for the email - I'll get those corrections sorted out over the
weekend.

regards

Richard
Still baldly going...