 Star Wars / 7928
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
I was merely stating that it's pointless to complain about things you can't
change.  Even in the very unlikely event that your opinion would get to
Lucas, he's not gonna change the SW movies to suit you.

  Aaron (and we, in general) aren't complaining in the hope that George will
re-do anything; we're complaining because George didn't do it as well as he
might have, given certain differences of aesthetic sensibility.

Tell me, is every SW fan happy that George filmed Luke and Biggs in their
defining moments of friendship, but chose to leave 'em on the cutting room
floor both times he released the film?
Agreed... I would have loved to see that scene.

  I've heard lots of people say this (as well as lots of people who swear up
and down that they saw the scene "when it first came out." It's amazing how
one can unknowingly edit one's own memory!) My view is that Biggs just doesn't
seem interesting to me, nor does his possible friendship with Luke. This is
one of those cases when I applaud George for identifying an irrelevant subplot
and uncharacteristically eliminating it from the final screening.
  Luke's lukewarm mourning about his Aunt, Uncle, and Obi-Wan, as well as his
imperceptible reaction to the death of Biggs, his supposed lifelong friend,
could be argued to paint Luke as an extremely disaffected personality!

The criticism isn't really constructive if it doesn't lead to a change of
something.  Since the Star Wars movies will not be changed, it's not
constructive.  It's pointless complaining.

  That is absolutely false.  Every year new critiques and criticisms are put
forth concerning Shakespeare, Joyce, and countless other works which are
unlikely to be changed to suit modern tastes.  The point of criticism isn't to
make a retroactive change in a work; the point is to explore the strengths and
shortcomings of a piece and to discuss the implications, both in terms of
story and quality, of those strengths and shortcomings.

     Dave!