 Star Wars / 7864
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:
Ah...the venerable & eternal SW race card debate. I don't think Lucas meant
any harm by drawing on the stereotypes; that is, I don't think that there
was any malicious intent.  I realize that many folks will say that the
Nemoidians didn't sound Asian at all, but I admit that I have a hard time not
feeling like their voices are some kind of corny rendition of the voice
dubbing on old campy martial arts movies.  I actually find the Watto
stereotype amusing...he doesn't have to be associated with any particular
ethnic group.

  I read that the Nemoidians were criticized for sounding too "middle
eastern," which I didn't perceive at all.  From the first time I heard JarJar,
though, I couldn't help seeing decades-old stereotypes of the finest step-and-
fetch-minstrel-show kind.  As for Watto, the same actor was in Gladiator, in
basically the same role(!), and he spoke with almost exactly the same accent.
No one raised a fuss about it there, I suppose, because it matched the
perceived historical "flavor" of the region.
  What bothers me isn't the presence or absence of racial issues in Star Wars
(which were so roundly criticized), but rather the fact that the Taco Bell
dog, a spokesdog for some Star Wars merchandise, has spoken in a stereotypical
"Mexican" accent, and no one complained at all!  Why the double standard!?

Please, Lucas, don't direct another movie.

  He can direct the visuals, as far as I'm concerned, but someone keep him
away from the character direction!

     Dave!