 Star Wars / 7863
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:21:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Greg Majewski writes:
Bleah. I learned a technique in English class this year called "Willful
suspension of disbelief." All that it says is not to be critical of the novel
you're reading or movie you're watching, etc, or you will not enjoy it at all.

  I'd like to speak with your teacher, because that's not what suspension of
disbelief is about at all.  Suspension of disbelief entails an overlooking of
improbable or impossible elements of a story so that, incorporating those
elements, the story can become more interesting or at any rate so that non-
conventional viewpoints and events can be examined.  SciFi depends heavily
upon suspension of disbelief, but so do romance, mystery, and historical
fiction, among other genres.
  The suspension you describe actually involves a deliberate forestalling of
one's critical skills so that a work may be enjoyed which might otherwise be
justifiably criticized for its shortcomings.

     Dave!