 Star Wars / 7856
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:37:03 GMT

Aaron West wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Greg Majewski writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:

What about Chewbacca?
Although, I must admit, Chewie speaks better English than some of my co-
workers.

Jeff J
He is cleverly pushed aside by the commie (not that there is anything • wrong
with that) Rebels, and never receives praise or a medal for his hard • labor.

It's always bothered me that Chewie didn't get a medal placed around his • neck
by the Princess.  He risked his his life also.  What's up with that!?

This one has been debated repeatedly ever since the movie origionally came • out.
I personally think he should have received a medal and I can't really give • you
a good answer as to why he didn't.

The only "good" excuse (and I use good lightly) I've heard was that it
was "undignified" for the Princess of alderann to get up on a chair to • present
Chewie his medal (due to his hight) and he recieved it at the party • afterwards
in a less formal setting.

In real-life Lucas originally intended for Chewie to have a much smaller part
and be much less tech-savvy.  In fact the Ewoks were originally going to be
Wookies, but Lucas ended up doing so much with Chewie that having the other
Wookies with sticks and stones didn't mae much sense.  The lack of a medal • was
probably something left in from the time when the script had Chewie as a more
minor character.  A mistake, but probably not intentional.

As for the racial overtones, those that want can chose to see them, I however
do not.

Bleah. I learned a technique in English class this year called "Willful
suspension of disbelief." All that it says is not to be critical of the novel
you're reading or movie you're watching, etc, or you will not enjoy it at all.
Star Wars is just a movie. It has nothing to do with the real world. If you
nit-pick all of the movies to death looking for every minor detail that
doesn't seem quite right, the movie won't be enjoyable anymore. Why don't we
all just watch the movies and not think about what racial or religious
undertones are in them and just enjoy them for what they are?
Greg "Fwoom" Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html

Blast it, this conspiracy to make everyone speak English goes further than I
had thought!  WE are all communicating in written English!!!!!  Oh, no.  I too
am a part of this plot to subvert the known universe to English!
It is certainly possible that Chewie just has a bad hairball and can do
nothing but grunt...  Or mabey he ate his medal before the ceremony, always
thinking with his stomach, you know.  Akbar may have had a bad sense of humor,
trying to imitate Vader's breathing during an important briefing.  He was
always such a clown in his high school days, you know.  Remember, they can
only get you if you start using subtitles, then they will know you are not
speaking English...
And now for something completely different,
Aaron

Heheh..When I saw the first of the films in theater (it was 1979 I
think) all the characters had subtitles and all of them speaking a
language that I had no idea about at that time..:-) you know, I was only
7-8 years old at that time..:-) When I saw the special edition again at
theater, most of the characters speaking a language very very familiar
to me..Oh god..most of the universe speaking Turkish..:-) (during the
last years, movies aiming children almost always shown as dubbed in
Turkish..:-)

Selçuk

P.S. Turkish is the second most spoken native language on earth, second
only to Chinese. I'm not comment on "widely known" issue, though..:-)