 Star Wars / 7846
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:15:49 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:

What about Chewbacca?
Although, I must admit, Chewie speaks better English than some of my co-
workers.

Jeff J
He is cleverly pushed aside by the commie (not that there is anything wrong
with that) Rebels, and never receives praise or a medal for his hard labor.

It's always bothered me that Chewie didn't get a medal placed around his neck
by the Princess.  He risked his his life also.  What's up with that!?

This one has been debated repeatedly ever since the movie origionally came • out.
I personally think he should have received a medal and I can't really give you
a good answer as to why he didn't.

The only "good" excuse (and I use good lightly) I've heard was that it
was "undignified" for the Princess of alderann to get up on a chair to present
Chewie his medal (due to his hight) and he recieved it at the party afterwards
in a less formal setting.

In real-life Lucas originally intended for Chewie to have a much smaller part
and be much less tech-savvy.  In fact the Ewoks were originally going to be
Wookies, but Lucas ended up doing so much with Chewie that having the other
Wookies with sticks and stones didn't mae much sense.  The lack of a medal was
probably something left in from the time when the script had Chewie as a more
minor character.  A mistake, but probably not intentional.

As for the racial overtones, those that want can chose to see them, I however
do not.