 Star Wars / 7772
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:29:42 GMT

If I remember correctly, they included the shields and a more robust life
support system to the Tie Advanced to make them, and the pilots last longer.
This was the second coming of the empire, and it was a much poorer empire at
that point, so they need to use their resources the best way they could.

The Tie's and Tie Interceptors were little more that engines and laser
cannons, with no shields, and very little in the way of life support.

If I remember correctly, they were also a pretty big pain in the butt to
fly. While there were fairly decent computer controls and navigation, it
still did not help much since the pilots were flying with blinders on. Hence
the wing/ solar panel design of the interceptor.

I would also have to disagree with the A-wing being used as an escort ship.
I think that the X-wings were much better suited for that, mostly because of
the hyperdrives on them. And the A-wing was fast, and very hard to pilot,
because it was so fast and maneuverable. It had very little armor, and what
I have read, had a hard time sustaining a direct laser hit.

Chris

From: "Jason Fabisch" <jfabisch@alphawire.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:27:03 GMT
To: lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: A couple stupid SW questions...

Ouch, I would have to disagree with you on that last one.  The B-wing is no
where near as fast or agile as a Tie Advanced, but it does carry way more
armor and weapons.  TIE Advanced were one of the latest developments in the
TIE series and were basically designed to compete with the X-Wing.  The TIE
Fighters didn't have shields and relied on agility and sheer numbers to win
battles.  Even TIE Interceptors didn't have shielding.  They equaled the
playing field by introducing shielding(but still no hyperdrive) to the TIE
Advanced to compete directly with the X wing and to stop sacrificing good
pilots(thus only the elite could fly them).