 Star Wars / 7920
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:40:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Aaron West writes:

first to pop into my head.  IMO people who criticize the SW movies come off
like non-SW fan... I just wanted to stress that if you're not an SW fan then

Seems to me that those of us who have been the most critical have been the
biggest fans of Lucas' work.  Star Wars has practially been a religion for me
since I was four.  Because I spend so much time in the Star Wars universe, I
cannot help but be critical.  If I did not care, I would not be here.  In • your
own words, people who critique and discuss Star Wars are non-fans and should
not be here?!!   Excuse me, the mindless automation laboratory is three web-
sites down the hall.  Be seeing you there around 2 AM!
Big 'ol redneck Star Wars fan,
Aaron

Don't misquote me... I didn't say that people who critique and discuss Star
Wars are non-fans... I said IMO people who CRITICIZE the SW MOVIES come off
like non-SW fans... in other words, people who spout negative comments about
the SW movies act like those who don't like SW.

Same thing to me, why you chose to get huffy over movie critique escapes me.
Movie critique is a right of every fan.  What would be the point of fandom if
you are only allowed conditions like these for discussion?  You can only
discuss SW material not from movies, but discussing SW movies is wrong?!  I
don't think so.  I love SW and there is plenty of room for me to make a
negative comment about something in a movie and still be a big 'ol fan.  Tell
me, is every SW fan happy that George filmed Luke and Biggs in their defining
moments of friendship, but chose to leave 'em on the cutting room floor both
times he released the film?  Even though George considers them actual
occurances to be inculded in his SW material body of history for the series?
There, a negative comment from someone who loves SW that does not make me a
non-fan and critiques a film.  You sir are making a frivilous arguement and
getting your feathers ruffled over something that is just not worth being
upset over.

People who are mega fans of
one SCI-FI series tend to find another SCI-FI series to compare and end up
insulting the one that they aren't mega fans of.  The most typical is the Star
Trek VS. Star Wars debates.  Those who prefer Star Trek always find little
problems with Star Wars and vice-versa.  IMO they are seperate works and
comparing 'em is like comparing apples to oranges.

Now you are not talking about movie critique anymore, but you have skipped out
to generalized critique of an entire series by comparison to another series.
If you are going to complain about a type of critique over a series, please be
consistent with your own arguement.  I don't think I have heard very many
debates over why ST (insert movie title) is so much better than SW (insert
movie title) exposing any person or party to be non-fans of either/or the
other.

Certainly there is room for critiquing and discussing Star Wars, but flat out
saying that Lucas did something wrong is like blasphemy.  It's HIS story, HE
determines how it goes, and IMO he can do no wrong.  While he is only human,
however he writes and shapes his story is up to him, and claiming that he did
it wrong is like saying the stars are in the wrong place in the sky.  You can
have that opinion, but until you can create a starfield and place the stars
where you want arguing about it is pointless.  The stars are where they are,
and you can't do anything about it.  Lie back and enjoy the sky.

Even though you go in strange circles of logic, you, like me and everyone, are
entitled to your own opinion.  As I have said before, don't go getting excited
just because somebody else feels differently about a creative body of work or
elements within that body of work just because they don't have the same
opinions as you.  I believe constructive criticism (even if the comment is
negative)of SW movies still makes me a fan of the series, and Lucas can be
right and create his own work, I can enjoy it, and still I (as a free thinker
of free will) disagree with a certain treatment of a certain issue or moment
within a film.  Ain't that part of the reason for having a brain?  May I also
add that we are not saying he did anything wrong, simply that we wish he would
have devoted more time or better thought to certain moments in his final
work.  In my experience, it has been the biggest SW fans that discuss SW
movies and how they wish things could have been in the series, but were not
due to time, money or ability.  Lucas is not a god, merely a man like so many
of us.  The difference is that he got off his lazy behind and made his dreams
come true.  You and I also have that power, and still may remain fans who
think.

Now if you want to, we can discuss something that will never happen and is
still fan related:  Who would win in a fight, the Enterprise 1701-E, a Star
Destroyer, Earth battleship Agamemnon, or the Battlestar Gallactica?
Apples, oranges, Star Trek and stars are also very enjoyable things:)
Aaron