 Star Wars / 7838
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:25:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:

What about Chewbacca?
Although, I must admit, Chewie speaks better English than some of my co-
workers.

Jeff J
He is cleverly pushed aside by the commie (not that there is anything wrong
with that) Rebels, and never receives praise or a medal for his hard labor.

It's always bothered me that Chewie didn't get a medal placed around his neck
by the Princess.  He risked his his life also.  What's up with that!?

This one has been debated repeatedly ever since the movie origionally came out.
I personally think he should have received a medal and I can't really give you
a good answer as to why he didn't.

Whether intendid or not there have been racial overtones throughout the 4
movies and I don't know if that has something to do with it.  Maybe because he
physically can't speak English he is considered inferior and unworthy (I
personally don't think so).

I think we can debate this to the end of time and not get the real answer,
which can only come from George Lucas himself, because I don't think George can
make up a good excuse for it like he has been able to do with other situations.
Come to think of it I havn't seen a satisfactory explination for the racial
overtones that are perceived in EP1.  Most notably the Gungans, Nemodians, and
Watto.

Who knows, I like to give the benifit of the doubt and think that none of these
overtones were intentional but that does not take away the fact that they are
there.

Eric Kingsley,

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/