 Off-Topic / Fun / 4018
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:41:35 GMT

[discussing "99 Luftballoons"]

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

That's because the translation is, if you'll pardon the expression, a
load of donkey's faeces. It loses the story, and the emotional loading
completely.

They sound very similar - but the english loses a few big parts of the
story, and somehow it manages to convey pretty much no emoption at
all.

I suspect the translation was done more on "scanning" well and
sounding similar than on content.

I was curious and found a link that shows a side by side comparision
of the English version and a translation of the original German lyrics.

http://www.inthe80s.com/redger3.shtml#ref3

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"