 Off-Topic / Debate / 3019
Re: Bicentennial Man (don't bother)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:59:55 GMT

Just a side note: don't see the movie--it's awful.  Well, not awful,
exactly, but pretty darned uneven with not a single moment giving us any sense
of what Robin Williams' character really has at stake.  The short story is a
much better evocation of his character's journey.  The Silverberg/Azimov novel
is supposed to be okay, but I'm still sold on the short story.

c /Azimov/Asimov/ (getting the master's name right takes you up a notch on my
"credence-o-meter" when discussing his work :-) )

I confess to a bit of shock at your perception. What a radically different
perception than mine! As I said, I found it to be one of the best movies I've
seen in a long time. I had a great deal of "sense of what Robin Williams'
character really has at stake" all the way through it. But then, perhaps our
aesthetic and emotive thresholds are different. I also did say that I expected
80% of the viewers not to get it. Perhaps you're in that bracket.

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

++Lar