 Off-Topic / Debate / 3020
Re: Brad - TLC needs to minimize packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:10:32 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
Of course there are a few products which I almost wish came in more
packaging. Have you ever tripped over a basketball in the toy section of
a super store? If they were in a box instead of unpackaged and left in
those huge baskets, kids wouldn't throw them all over the place.

I have, and it is annoying. Packaging those, I think, might be cost
restrictive, as well as space. It is a lot easier to hose 1,000 loose
balls than 1,000 packaged ones.

Well, I don't think it would be any easier to hose 1000 loose balls than
1000 boxed ones, but it would certainly do less damage to the product,
however, the hose really should be aimed at the teenage jerks who play
ball in the toy store aisles...

I also see some value in legislation which kicks us in the pants to
clean up our act. I wonder where minorities would be today without all
the civil rights legislation?

Well, I hate to say this, but environmental regulations versus civil
rights legislation is, in my view, two totally separate things. Treating
humans equally is a universal right, mandatory environmental
regulations, with inane or outdated laws, is debatable, and clearly an
overreach of power of the federal government.

True, but many of those civil rights laws infringe just as much on
Liberatopia as environmental laws.

Of course if we had a true Liberatopia, most of these problems wouldn't
exist, because all the costs and benefits would be properly balanced,
instead of most of the costs being hidden.

Liberatopia, as in Libertarian, or as in liberalism/leftism? I will take
the first, rather than the latter.

Libertarian.

--
Frank Filz