 Off-Topic / Debate / 3015
Re: Brad - TLC needs to minimize packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:00:55 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

I think that it's not so much a case of the consumer wanting more
packaging, than that the companies perceive that larger packages sell
better because the stupid consumer thinks he's getting a better deal.

I have little sympathy for stupid consumers. I see too many of them at
my second job for
that.

"This was supposed to be 80% off, there was a sign."

Lets say they have a Christmas sweater. (Actual example)

I went back there to see, and it was 80% off a brand of swimwear.

As far as government regulation of packaging goes, I think that so long
as landfills are publicly financed, the government has an interest in
reducing waste. Of course this should be handled by charging a fee per
bag of trash (with lower, zero, or negative fees for properly cleaned
and sorted recycleables, assuming there is a market for said
recycleables). If the trash fees really represented the true cost of
waste disposal (which I suspect would shock us if we paid per bag of
trash), consumers would quickly demand a level of packaging which would
minimize waste (whether it be no packaging at all, or recycleable
packaging).

Well, I don't know the numbers on hand, but I do know if there is a
market friendly way
of handling trash fees, etc. I am all for it. Government mandated
programs, with little
to no regard in terms of reality or of economic cost is never wanted,
IMHO.

In general, TLC seems to use an appropriate level of packaging, though
some boxes could be smaller. One place where their packaging is
ridiculous is the service packs. Why do we need a bag within a bag?

Isn't that because of Europe selling those right off the shelves, or
not?

Music CDs are certainly an example of consumer acceptance of reduced
packaging (though every once in a while I get a CD with two layers of
shrink wrap). When the long boxes disappeared, they did so almost over
night, and most (music) stores don't use those re-useable frames. I've
also noticed that most double CDs come in the thin double jewel boxes.

I do remember those boxed CD's. I did not even own a CD player until
1994, and now I have Minidisc players. I was waiting for a good
replacement of tapes. I love jewel cases, because I can use those for
many venues of items.

Of course there are a few products which I almost wish came in more
packaging. Have you ever tripped over a basketball in the toy section of
a super store? If they were in a box instead of unpackaged and left in
those huge baskets, kids wouldn't throw them all over the place.

I have, and it is annoying. Packaging those, I think, might be cost
restrictive, as well as space. It is a lot easier to hose 1,000 loose
balls than 1,000 packaged ones.

I also see some value in legislation which kicks us in the pants to
clean up our act. I wonder where minorities would be today without all
the civil rights legislation?

Well, I hate to say this, but environmental regulations versus civil
rights legislation is, in my view, two totally separate things. Treating
humans equally is a universal right, mandatory environmental
regulations, with inane or outdated laws, is debatable, and clearly an
overreach of power of the federal government.

Of course if we had a true Liberatopia, most of these problems wouldn't
exist, because all the costs and benefits would be properly balanced,
instead of most of the costs being hidden.

Liberatopia, as in Libertarian, or as in liberalism/leftism? I will take
the first, rather than the latter.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator/CAD Operator-Affiliated Engineers ->
http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html