 Off-Topic / Debate / 3016
Re: Bicentennial Man and Immortality (was Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Actually, the whole immortality thing is something I have thought about a
fair bit.  I hadn't considered the 'recognized as human' angle before, but
it's IMHO irrelevant to the main thrust - I wouldn't want to be immortal.

You say that as a mortal. :-) I don't want to .debate this, but I do want to
highlight (and I guess I may be spoiling some of the plot here) that this
character already WAS immortal, practically. He was faced with the choice of
trading it away for what *I*, in my value system, consider scant payment...
the acknowledgement of others. He already had the right to own property. Who
cares what other people think? Not me. It was a bad trade.

I haven't seen the movie (yet), so I hadn't been taking it into
consideration.  I'd consider it a bad trade, too - but then it wasn't me
making the choice.  To him, it may have been worth it (and I'll shut up now -
at least until I see it).

I repeat, given the choice, I'd choose immortality. I could always change my
mind later and kill myself if I got bored. No one is ever actually "immortal"
no matter how old, just "immortal so far" because even immortality isn't
defense against someone getting your ICBM coordinates exactly right.

A reasonable assumption, so I'll grant it - under those conditions, I'd pick
immortality too.  But my tendancy to look for the catch would inspire me to
ask (assuming I got offered immortality) if I would be able to opt out at some
later date.  (the Swift angle again)

You're welcome not to choose it, of course, just as you should be able to make
whatever other choices you wish about your own body...
But here's a key point. Don't get in my way if I want to make that choice
because you happen to think that it's morally wrong. The only person who has
the right to make decisions about how long I live (subject to being able to
provide for myself, I'm not talking about being a ward of the state here...)
is me.

Not saying you personally would do that but do want to stress the point.

Agreed, personal choice is high on my list of Important Things.

Yes it's a rag but I can't fault their analysis. We are THIS close to
unwinding the entire genetic sequence around aging in cells.

I'm not so sure that's a good thing - we already have a surplus population
problem.

Among the poor countries. My thesis is, of course, (and this is a .debate item
too, maybe we BETTER go over there) is that once your country becomes
sufficiently advanced from a freedom and economic standpoint, population
increase rates go down. I think the US and western europe are already at
negative growth, discounting immigration.

Yes, they're at negative growth right now, but if dying of old age ceases to
be a problem, that will change FAST.  1.2 kids per family is significantly
more than the current (non-age related) death rate.

IMHO, technology that extends life expectancy is a good thing, but
only when it doesn't increase (our population) significantly past our
capacity to expand.

Agree. So we best get all our eggs out of this poor overcrowded basket, and
start exploiting the rest of the universe.

Yup.  We're about due for another bout of explosive expansion.  (which reminds
of the 'humanity is a virus' discourse from Matrix - neat idea.  Flawed, but
neat)

Net Net though is that IMHO this is a great movie, worthy of your custom and
worthy of some reflection when you get out of it. It may be Robin's best work
so far, and he's done some good stuff. Very little Asimov stuff has ever made
film (Fantastic Voyage is the only thing that comes readily to mind, and
didn't he adapt the movie script to a novel rather than the other way round?
I forget) and I was very pleased at how well this movie hewed to the spirit
of the Robot Stories. Too bad it didn't happen while Isaac was alive.

Every intention of seeing it.  I like Asimov.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/