 Dear LEGO / 1165
Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:14:15 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
Fellow Lugnuts:

I just had the good fortune/misfortune to receive 6095, 6094, and 6032 as Xmas
gifts.  I am not going to review these sets except in a cursory way.  The gist
of this post is to complain on behalf of new castle buyers -- that new castle
sucks!

I just wanted to say that I agree that the new castle line may be a lot more
juniorized, and I think that those juniorized parts seem to make it more
expensive.  One of the things I have always looked for in my LEGO purchases
(since I was a kid) was the piece count of each set.  I have enjoyed the sets
that allow me to build everything myself.  I do not care for the overuse of
prefab sections.  Some of the castle wall prefabs are nice for what they are
but the gatehouse on the new set is horrible.  Costly too.

The Star Wars line seems to be targeted toward people like me who wish to
build everything. I believe that LEGO is trying to secure the children of this
generation by offering sets that are easier to build and have more play
features.  The target audience for Star Wars I believe is widely spread
between 8 to 28 at LEGO.

The 2000 line of product is more diverse in age range.  The sets offered are
all within the Legoland scale, but are a step above Fabuland.  That was the
step between Duplo and Legoland when I was a child, though I never had
interest in them.  As I have said, LEGO may have determined that they needed a
bridge product between toddler and 8 plus.  Castles, Construction,
Firefighters and the like are all target toys for younger players.  While they
may not satisfy the experienced builder, at least they are available.

Those of us who are complaining the most probably have many of the old sets we
are recalling in our parts inventories.  It is my intention to pursue all the
new castle line, buy it,add it to my existing collection and throw the parts I
do not use in the bin for future ideas.  At the same time I can also buy them
for my 4 year old son and watch him enjoy the first time wonder of building
his own castle.  6090 is really too difficult for him to build himself (heck,
even I missed steps), but the new castle line is much more his level.  I have
faith the LEGO is just securing their future builders while they are trying to
offer product that older builders may enjoy.  Look at the new catalog, include
the sets not yet anounced and the trains and technique sets and shop at home
sets.  There are more than 60 sets available!  Surely LEGO is producing as
much as they can for as many as possible age ranges.  Not everything can be
just for me, but I can enjoy what they have available.  Even if the 1980s were
the golden age of LEGO.
Just bucause it is juniorized does not mean it is junk.
Best wishes, and Happy Building!
Aaron > Maniac@vol.com