 Off-Topic / Fun / 3898
Re: Our times (Was: Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:10:50 GMT

"LP" == Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

LP> Wired, I think it was this month, rag that it is, had an
LP> interesting plot of predicted life expectancy. Being born next
LP> year doubles it from being 40, like I am, according to them.

LP> Yes it's a rag but I can't fault their analysis. We are THIS close
LP> to unwinding the entire genetic sequence around aging in cells.

An amazing time to be alive, truly. The next generation, i.e. my kids,
if I have any in a couple of years, may live for a long, long
time. The coupling of electronic devices to the neural system seems
just around the corner. (Woo! Who needs a remote control for their
RCX? Just control it with your mind!) Nanotech, anyone? Genetic
manipulation?

On the other hand, there are the changes in the climate that are
currently happening, which may or may not be due to our actions. Not
to sound depressing (I really do think this is an amazing time to be
alive, besides, being depressing would be off-topic for
off-topic.fun), but are my kids going to live forever in a ruined
world? (Hmm, time to build a really advanced lego robot to fix the
environment! Oops! That's off-topic, too.)

LP> ++Lar

Johannes.
--
"The cat's been in the box for over 20 years.  Nobody's feeding it.  The
cat is dead." -- Grant, on Schroedinger's Cat

<insert funny description here>