 Off-Topic / Fun / 4010
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:12:03 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:31:03 GMT, "Jeff Stembel"
<aulddragon@wamalug.org> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:
<neunundneunzig luftballons>

Ya know, they don't play that enough any more.  Funny thing is, the German
version seems to be more popular than the English version.  On the radio
stations I listen to, at least.

That's because the translation is, if you'll pardon the expression, a
load of donkey's faeces. It loses the story, and the emotional loading
completely.

If you understand german, you know that ;)

I like listening to songs in some foreign languages.  You can pay more
attention to the little things you normally miss.  :)

Yup.

This is my father's hobby.  He spends lots of time at the Library of Congress
researching our family.  One of the most interesting pages on his site is the
"Stembel Mysteries" page: http://members.aol.com/Trakker19/web/RESEARCH.htm

Many of these could serve as premise for short story, if not a novel.

Though those stories wouldn't be all that original -- many people seem
to have that sort of mysteries in their ancestry.

I've got one friend who claims to be a descendant (in a direct male
line, no less) from Charlemagne. (presumably, along with 50% of
Europe..)

Jasper