 Off-Topic / Fun / 4011
4010  |  4012
Subject:
Wrapping (was: Re: B-Wing Review)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:19:47 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ryan Dennett writes:
In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:
This set was my biggest Christmas suprise.  First, I had no idea that I was
getting it.  Second, knowing that I'd probably guess what it was if she just
wrapped it, my wife padded each polybag with tissue within the box, and then
stuck the set box in a gift bag.  Expecting dress clothes in that gift bag, I
didn't perform the giveaway Shake Test (who among us doesn't love that
wonderful, deep, rich, rattle and clink of Legos in a box?), and thus, I was
marvelously suprised and overjoyed when I beheld the Bi-Wing on Christmas
morning.

My parents love taking the bags out of the box and taping them up so there
isn't a rattle to be heard. I hate it...in a way :) There is such a beautiful
sound when you shake a Lego box. :)

I've never had it done to me, but I've done something similar to someone
else!... I've been getting my roomate back into Lego, and she said she always
wanted King's Castle as a child, and still would LOVE to have the set, but she
couldn't afford to buy one... AND she would want to ensure that it was complete
(after some of my rantings at only getting ONE 100% complete 2nd-hand set,
she's been a bit leery, as have I)... So I secretly bought her a used one (and
took extra pieces from my own collection to make SURE it was 100% complete)...
She KNEW that I wanted to get her King's Castle for Xmas, so I had to disguise
it. So I took all the pieces, and put them together as compactly as possible so
they wouldn't rattle. Then I put it in a box that JUST fit-- a box for my 10.2
gig hard drive (which is much smaller than you'd expect a King's castle to fit
into). I then padded it with plastic bags.... Upon shaking it, all you heard
was a rather large clunking sound-- it didn't sound at ALL like Lego. Suffice
to say, she was taken COMPLETELY by surprise.

Anyway, suffice to say I like surpirsing people/being surprised with things
like that... It's not nearly as fun when you know what you're getting in
advance...

DaveE