 Off-Topic / Fun / 3966
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 05:45:31 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 07:34:03 GMT, Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

What about the childrens' balloons from one of those "whose gets the
farthest when the ticket is returned" which were detected as incoming
nukes by the Russian aged and failing early-warning system a few
months/years back?

I forgot about those!  Imagine being the third-grader who started WWIII...

And they started singing: Whoa-hoa, this here Anakin guy,

[snip]

"My fellow Americans, I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever.  We
begin bombing in five minutes."

Thanks for typing those words--I've always been able to remember little swatches of the
German version, but I can't think in German yet, so I always lose her after the first few
stanzas.

I assume you're Dutch, but you seem to Germanize a lot of things.  Is that your first
second language out of the five or six everyone in .nl seems to speak?

<fadeout> Thank you, thankyaverramuts.

The King has left the building!

In Michigan, if it flies or explodes, it's illegal.  Feh.

In the Netherlands, fireworks may only be sold on the 29, 30, 31st,
under strict rules as to venue and size_of(firework), and they may
only be used between 24:00 and 1:00 on New Years' Day.

Size_of(firework)? You do too much code.  :)  Maybe they should restrict that.

Yeah, Fortis, ING, and a few of the others have been going on a bit of
a buying spree the past decade. Now that I think about it, it's always
"$DUTCH_VBC purchases $FOREIGN_VBC", never the other way 'round.

There's a reason for that.  Except for Indonesia, material administration was usually
handed off to the British at some point--on the condition that Dutch business wasn't
impinged upon.  That's what happened in South Africa and in North America--so that when
the real imperial problems began, the Dutch were "honest brokers" upon whom both sides
could rely.  It's not coincidence that (IIRC) Libya didn't nationalize Dutch assets when
they siezed British and US ones.

Are you coming as an exchange student or as a teacher? What subject?

I'm a historian--I'm not teaching, but rather using Leiden as a base for my research
trips into Germany, the UK, and Amsterdam.  I study Southern Africa, after all.  :)

Ah, right. Now, I can see the UK and Amsterdam for research on SA -
but Germany? I didn't know they had anything to do with it.

German states and Germans have a tremendous amount to do with South Africa in the 19th and
20th centuries--South Africa considered defecting to Germany in both world wars.  But the
vital part is that Germans comprised much of the Boer states' bureaucracy and Germany held
territory in Namibia and Tanzania--uncomfortably close to the minerally richest areas of
Africa.

Besides, look at my last name.  That should tell you the other reason I'd want to go to
Germany.  ;)

Anyway, mail me sometime, we'll set up a night at the appropriate pub.

Sounds good--I'll need to figure out what's good out there, because last summer I
didn't get into the pubs much (my girlfriend and I were living in a very nice 18th-C.
home on the canals and we chose to cook for ourselves).

What do you do there in .nl?

To tell the truth, I don't go out very much either. I could introduce
you to my friends over in Delft, that's close to Leiden and has a
night-train connection.

We never got over to Delft last summer--I hope to see it.

Other than that, I know some, but not much, stuff around here, ie
Utrecht, and a bit over in Rotterdam.

A friend of mine lives in Utrecht.  I'll probably be around there too.

If you want, I can direct you to the big expensive strip/dance joint
over in Rotterdam, but you'd have to do that one alone...

That's OK--I can do without that.  My girlfriend told me to go to the red light district
in Amsterdam because "you've just got to see it for yourself once."  What happened on my
way to the red light district?  I passed the office of the Nederlandse-Zuid-Afrikaanse
Vereenige [sic] and had to stop in, and when I found out they had an archive on site,
there went my whole day.

Yes, I'm an eggheaded loser--unlike most academics, who would be sidetracked from an
archive by carnal pleasures, I was sidetracked from pleasure by an archive.  *sigh*

I enjoy more the sort of pub where you can shoot some pool, throw some
darts, and do it all while enjoying a nice single malt.

That's my feeling too.  But watch out--drunkenness and darts don't mix.  If you drink,
don't dart.  :)  On the other hand, pool is always safe.

best

LFB