 Off-Topic / Debate / 3097
Re: Bicentennial Man and Immortality (was Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:25:14 GMT

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:13:29 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Point taken. You're absolutely right. Savor the moment, it comes so
RARELY in discourse with me...

Ah.... *bask*

However, I think for this discussion we are using Immortality
(incorrectly, under the strict definition you point out) to stand in for
"immunity to most common causes of death" that is, "practical"
immortality as I said in the first or close to the first append, not
immunity from the effects of flying your spaceship directly into the
sun.

I relaised latyer that we were talking about Asimov's robot, which
movie now apparently has made it into release. I wonder if it'll go
staright-to-video here or not get here at all.

Further, if you'd been reading the thread carefully instead of just
looking for nitpick opportunities you'd already know that. Either that
or you're just trying to twit me back for the dubya/4 sins thing. :-)

Well, I hadn't been reading the thread, since it was in .fun before
the post I responded to and I haven't caught up there yet. I get
behind easily.

So the question returns to, would you choose to live practically
forever, subject to certain bad hair day incidents like having the
empire state building land directly on your head point first and so
forth, if you could also choose to wilfully decide to end it, or would
you instead choose our lot now, immune to some things but not all,
killable in ordinary car/plane accidents (Andrew would not have been
done in by the crash that killed Diana, nor the one that killed JFK Jr),
and subject to an internal clock winding down and making the end of your
days rather miserable.

Probably. Would I choose that if it also meant that I would be mocked
and taken apart regularly by vandals, making all of my days rather
miserable?

To me the choice, stated that way, is obvious. I'll repeat, I would not,
repeat NOT, want to be actually immortal. Andrew threw practical
immortality away for the wrong reasons. And that, to me, was what made

I think that his humanity became an obsession to him long before the
end of the robot-rights struggles. That is why he chose to trade
immortality for humanity, IMHO.

Plus I think he had basically seen it all over those 200 years.

What the movie makes of this... I'll see it, but I don't know if I'll
like it.

Jasper