 Off-Topic / Fun / 4023
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 03:01:04 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:41:35 GMT, "Nephilim" <jthompson@esker.com>
wrote:

[discussing "99 Luftballoons"]

I was curious and found a link that shows a side by side comparision
of the English version and a translation of the original German lyrics.

http://www.inthe80s.com/redger3.shtml#ref3

Ah, cool. What I don't get is the comments at the top "captured the
spirit well". I mean, sure, there are obviously German-english
translations of other things that suck worse, but I don't think this
can possibly fit into "translated well".

I mailed them a few corrections for the middle translation, BTW ;)

I wrote:
In the side by side comparison of Nena's 99 red balloons in various
languages and translation, the literal translation (and associated page)
could use a bit of work.

http://www.inthe80s.com/redger3.shtml
http://www.inthe80s.com/redger2.shtml

First stanza:

First line, Hast du etwas Zeit fuer mich: should probably be "do you
have some time for me" (this is a question used as part of a sentence,
without a question mark, and while continuing the sentence after it.
Very tricky of Lena)

Second line: Lose the "then", or replace with "if so"

Denkst Du vielleicht grad' an mich: Better translation would be:
"are you perhaps just [now] thinking about me"

Second Stanza:

Hielt man fuer UFOs aus dem All: could probably be better translated
as: "Were held to be UFOs from outer space", "looked like UFOs from outer space",
or "Were thought to be UFOs from outer space"

Just below that: Flying squad should be a "fighter squadron", I believe.

To raise the alarm if it was true: Add a comma after alarm, as in the german.

Third Stanza:

99 Duesenjaeger: Should be "jet fighters"

Das gab ein grosses Feuerwerk: Maybe "that made a big fireworks", or
something. A native speaker of english should be able to correct that.

Die Nachbarn haben nichts gerafft: My dictionary doesn't mention it,
but, from context, is it possible that "raffen" idiomatically means
"get it", so the slightly less literal translation would be
"The neighbours didn't get any of it"?

Und fuehlten sich gleich angemacht: presumably
meaning is closer to "And immediately felt insulted"

fourth stanza:

schlaue Leute: more accurately "sly people", instead of "clever people".
fette Beute: should be {'heavy', 'fat', 'lots of'} loot, not greasy.

Fifth Stanza:
kriegsminister are still war ministers, so "There are no war ministers any more".
Duesenflieger: Jet pilots, rather than engines.

And for gods' sake, give your feedback form more lines.
Seeing what you're writing is nigh on impossible in three.

Jasper

Let's see what they use of it...

I do truly have a proofreader's soul.

Jasper