 Off-Topic / Fun / 4024
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:11:32 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

John Neal wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

-I still
get essays from college students where they refuse to spell out "God" and will
write "G-d".

That sound you hear is me weeping for the future.  From where does *that* kind of
nonsense come?

Which nonsense, my feeling that it's unusual or the practice of eradicating the "o"?
If the former, it's because I'm a Unitarian, and because most of the essays I get
don't shy away from capital-G God in expository writing.  (And no, I *never* under
any circumstances hold the "G-d" iteration or any expression of religious devotion
against a student--if they know their material, they know their material, and that's
that.)  If it's the latter, I presume it's based on the Hebrew precedent of never
uttering or writing the "true name" of God, which is why it was so often YHWH (which
has been loosely transpronounced as "yahweh" or the Europeanized "Jehovah").

Ah, I see.  I thought it was because of an unbelief in God:-p  It is confusing because,
as you say, the Hebrew name for God as written in the OT is YHWH (however it's
pronounced, no one knows for sure).  So to spell the generic word for God (which is
what It *is*, not Its name)  "G-d" seemed odd to me.

This was a common convention before the late 19th century, as well--but it was
context-sensitive too; for example, when using in an admonishment or a swear, you would -
the "o" (along with the "am" in d--n, much later), but in theological texts it would be
spelled out.

I have stopped weeping and am now scratching my head;-)

You and I both.  I guess that since the born-agains feel they have special privy to God's
wishes, they feel it's OK to name him/her/it.

best,

Lindsay