 Off-Topic / Fun / 3957
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 07:34:03 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 20:32:54 GMT, Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

NORAD almost freaked at the triple Scud launch near Midnight, Moscow time, that
was taken as a nuke launch at first--turns out they were just sending some Happy
New Year missiles to Chechnya.  :(  Stupid gits.  (Not Russians in general, just
whoever makes *those* boneheaded decisions.)

What about the childrens' balloons from one of those "whose gets the
farthest when the ticket is returned" which were detected as incoming
nukes by the Russian aged and failing early-warning system a few
months/years back?

I forgot about those!  Imagine being the third-grader who started WWIII...

Jasper (total fireworks among the 16 million inhabitants of .nl was ~6
_kilo_tons.)

Hey, you can afford it.

Yup. Our $100 worth was pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself.
We'd bought a few _large_ ground-standing pots.

In Michigan, if it flies or explodes, it's illegal.  Feh.

I'm upset that nobody here in the US covered the Amsterdam celebrations.  They
went for Berlin, Rome, then Paris, and London.  Have they forgotten that Dutch
investment pretty much controls the Western world?

Even _I_'ve never heard, let alone made, that claim. We're only #12 or
so on the list of countries ordered by GNP, IIRC, and maybe 5 or so
when ordered by productivity (that one's quite a feat considering our
pinko communist stance on welfare and institutionalised healthcare and
all).

Counting national assets is pretty anachronistic.  Most Dutch investment is highly
transnational--I don't think it shows up as "Dutch" for the purposes of GNP.  I'll
have to dig out the citations, but I believe there's a huge Dutch interest in GE,
Citibank, and a few other huge US conglomerates--they're the largest single foreign
investment bloc in the US, above the British and far, far, *far* above the Japanese.
I mentioned Barings because it was the most visible recent sign of that ascendancy.

PS:  I'll be joining you in August, at Uni Leiden.  Nobody's shown me the secret
handshake yet, though.  :)

You want secret handshakes, join LSC (Leidsch Studenten Corps)
(actually, they're called something else now, since they merged with
the LVSV, leidse vrouwelijke studenten vereniging -- their female
counterpart -- it escapes me what, though). They're the frattiest
frat, so to speak. I believe the Leiden one is among the top-three,
possibly even _the_, oldest student clubs in the country. And that
means they're older than your _country_.

I'm not sure I'd want to do that.  Besides, my Dutch is so bad, I wouldn't get very
far.  :)

Are you coming as an exchange student or as a teacher? What subject?

I'm a historian--I'm not teaching, but rather using Leiden as a base for my research
trips into Germany, the UK, and Amsterdam.  I study Southern Africa, after all.  :)
Technically I'm an exchange student, but I'm so far post-grad I'm almost faculty.
It's really quite weird.

Anyway, mail me sometime, we'll set up a night at the appropriate pub.

Sounds good--I'll need to figure out what's good out there, because last summer I
didn't get into the pubs much (my girlfriend and I were living in a very nice 18th-C.
home on the canals and we chose to cook for ourselves).

What do you do there in .nl?

best,

Lindsay