 Off-Topic / Fun / 3908
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:55:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:

I have no idea. Having 'recognized as human' being a given my entire life, I
am a poor judge of it's value.  (and I have no intention, regardless of
whether the option is available, to be immortal.)

Don't answer so fast! you may change your mind later. And if you choose one
way, you CAN change your mind, if you choose the other, you can't.

I think most of us would be delighted to live a bit longer than we currently
think is what's achievable. I myself could easily see wanting to go 200 years.

Not to insult or something, but being immortal is much more than 200 years.
It's for eternity. If you can't grasp eternity, think 1 million years. (which
is nothing compared to eternity.)
Think of this - everybody you know dies. You meet new people, they die too.
You lose everyone you know (unless you happen to have an immortal friend.
You'd get tired of him/her after, say, 2000 years.)
You enjoy 200, 300, maybe 1000 years of extreme fun, then ponder the facts of
life for some 2000 years more.
What next?
You'll learn to play all music instruments, all languages, all arts...

So what? You still have forever to go.

It's hard to grasp it. But I don't think you'd want to be immortal.

I wouldn't.

-Shiri

P.S. Wow, that was a serious letter! Sorry if I over-whelmed you. I think I
over-whelmed myself. :-)