 Dear LEGO / 1127
Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:49:56 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
Fellow Lugnuts:

I just had the good fortune/misfortune to receive 6095, 6094, and 6032 as Xmas
gifts.  I am not going to review these sets except in a cursory way.  The gist
of this post is to complain on behalf of new castle buyers -- that new castle
sucks!

I have all three of those as well, and I'll agree, they could be more, but I
like them.  My only problem with 6095 is that it's at the wrong price point. (2
less pieces=10 more bucks?!?!?)

My biggest complaints have to be the lion heads element in tan and the new
castle curved wall.  The lion should certainly have been one of the grey tones
and NOT tan!  If they were going to make it tan, could we at least have a tan
castle to go with it?

You seem to be assuming that this piece will never be available in another
color... I like the fact that it's tan - it's prototypical(1) for a facade or
bas-relief piece to be a different color (often a different type of stone) from
the wall it's part of.

And it must be stated VERY firmly, that the new castle wall is REALLY poorly
designed.  I am calling for the immediate dismissal of the designer of this
element!  This person hasn't a clue as to what LEGO is about.  Truly the most
horrifying element to yet be seen by these lego-loving eyes...it must be
understood that the new blue spires are 4x4 at the base, but that the new
curved castle wall which supports this style of spire is itself 3x4, leaving
you without the possibility of making a full round/octagonal tower and with a
spire overhang of 1x4 studs worth of spire!!!  You could have made a perfect
octagonal tower, if it had been designed right, but now you just can't...

Yeah, I'm not big on the new tower - mine will likely all go to sale...

And say goodbye to the plain old arch -- the new arch is 1x4x2.  And this
terrible element has apparently replaced what used to be a 1x4 arch brick and
two 1x1 bricks.

This arch has been around for a while.  I *like* it.  I also like the 1x4x1.
Both are useful.  I'm certainly not going to complain about having more arch
options.

<snipped bulk of rant>

The gauntlet has been flung down!

-- Richard (Lego Curmudgeon with a big chip on his shoulder called "new
castle")

Wow.  You sure tend to cover the extremes... Can I start calling you pendulum
boy?  (meant in fun!)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1:Borrowing a term from the trainheads...