 Off-Topic / Fun / 4016
Re: Who James Isn't (was:Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:32:10 GMT

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:56:57 GMT, "Jeff Stembel"
<aulddragon@wamalug.org> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

That's because the translation is, if you'll pardon the expression, a
load of donkey's faeces. It loses the story, and the emotional loading
completely.

That explains why the two versions are so similar.  Same thing happens with
Japanese songs redone in English.

They sound very similar - but the english loses a few big parts of the
story, and somehow it manages to convey pretty much no emoption at
all.

I suspect the translation was done more on "scanning" well and
sounding similar than on content.

I've got one friend who claims to be a descendant (in a direct male
line, no less) from Charlemagne. (presumably, along with 50% of
Europe..)

Wouldn't suprise me if it is true (not the direct part, though).  I am
descended (not directly) from him.  52nd generation, I think.  My father has a
lineage chart that shows it.  I'm also related to three or four US presidents.

Well, this particular friend is also mentioned, sideways, in the Dutch
"Blue Book", which is a register of everyone "of noble descent" in the
country. His family lost the title somewfere fairly recently along the
line (presumably a male bastard son was involved somewhere along the
line, or something similar).

Jasper