 Off-Topic / Debate / 3018
Re: Bicentennial Man (don't bother)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
You say that as a mortal. :-) I don't want to .debate this, but I do want to
highlight (and I guess I may be spoiling some of the plot here) that this
character already WAS immortal, practically. He was faced with the choice of
trading it away for what *I*, in my value system, consider scant payment...
the acknowledgement of others. He already had the right to own property. Who
cares what other people think? Not me. It was a bad trade.

I haven't seen the movie (yet), so I hadn't been taking it into
consideration.  I'd consider it a bad trade, too - but then it wasn't me
making the choice.  To him, it may have been worth it (and I'll shut up now -
at least until I see it).

  Just a side note: don't see the movie--it's awful.  Well, not awful,
exactly, but pretty darned uneven with not a single moment giving us any sense
of what Robin Williams' character really has at stake.  The short story is a
much better evocation of his character's journey.  The Silverberg/Azimov novel
is supposed to be okay, but I'm still sold on the short story.

     Dave!