 Off-Topic / Debate / 3012
Re: Brad - TLC needs to minimize packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:33:21 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
Interesting. It seems the consumer doesn't seem to want no packaged
items, little, etc. Maybe it was a backlash. I don't know. But it seems
that more packages are bigger nowadays, regardless the apparent threat
of the "packaging police."

I think that it's not so much a case of the consumer wanting more
packaging, than that the companies perceive that larger packages sell
better because the stupid consumer thinks he's getting a better deal.

As far as government regulation of packaging goes, I think that so long
as landfills are publicly financed, the government has an interest in
reducing waste. Of course this should be handled by charging a fee per
bag of trash (with lower, zero, or negative fees for properly cleaned
and sorted recycleables, assuming there is a market for said
recycleables). If the trash fees really represented the true cost of
waste disposal (which I suspect would shock us if we paid per bag of
trash), consumers would quickly demand a level of packaging which would
minimize waste (whether it be no packaging at all, or recycleable
packaging).

In general, TLC seems to use an appropriate level of packaging, though
some boxes could be smaller. One place where their packaging is
ridiculous is the service packs. Why do we need a bag within a bag?

Music CDs are certainly an example of consumer acceptance of reduced
packaging (though every once in a while I get a CD with two layers of
shrink wrap). When the long boxes disappeared, they did so almost over
night, and most (music) stores don't use those re-useable frames. I've
also noticed that most double CDs come in the thin double jewel boxes.

Of course there are a few products which I almost wish came in more
packaging. Have you ever tripped over a basketball in the toy section of
a super store? If they were in a box instead of unpackaged and left in
those huge baskets, kids wouldn't throw them all over the place.

I also see some value in legislation which kicks us in the pants to
clean up our act. I wonder where minorities would be today without all
the civil rights legislation?

Of course if we had a true Liberatopia, most of these problems wouldn't
exist, because all the costs and benefits would be properly balanced,
instead of most of the costs being hidden.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com