 Off-Topic / Debate / 3075
Re: Brad - TLC needs to minimize packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:53:38 GMT

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:32:27 GMT, Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com>
wrote:

To a pure Libertarian, laws telling you that your store must serve
anyone regardless of race (ect), are an infringement of the store owners
rights. I agree with this basic point, which is why my statement of
wondering where we would be without such laws. How could we have
improved the lot of minorities without laws _forcing_ people to deal
with minorities. From a pure rights oriented point of view, these laws
are just as bad as "quota" laws.

Of course I have also seen evidence that society will correct problems
in dealing with minorities when the market is sufficiently free to
expose the true economics (costs and benefits). I have heard my manager
at IBM state that while he _personally_ finds homosexuality
distastefull, he would fully support IBM's initiatives to be more
friendly to the gay population. Reason: pure economics. The gay
population has a lot of money to spend, and the market has proven that
they are willing to spend more of it on products from gay friendly
companies.

So how would the situation be in the southern states? The black
population _didn't_ have cash to spend, and they didn't have much
chance of improving that either.

Would gays be open about being gay like they are now, without the
entire society's movement towards tolerance of everything?

Jasper