 Off-Topic / Debate / 24954
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   You better hurry and make up your mind about ST:E since this is undoubtedly the last season

Really? That’s kinda funny, given the external circumstances. Stargate recently started franchising, there are rumors that another B5 spinoff is in the works, and after the whole debate of whether ST or B5 was superior or which show stole ideas from which, I heard JMS turned them down cold when they asked him to save their latest baby. Star Trek peaked in popularity during DS9 (the last series to bear Roddenberry’s fingerprint), and they never quite got the magic back. The only reason why I’ve even watched the bulk of ST:V is because a local station was running it in reruns every weekday at 7pm, and it’s easier to maintain interest in a show when the entire 7-year run can be compressed down into just over 7 months. After all, it only takes about two months to get past the Kazon. ;P

I’m not sure how any of that relates to ST:E only (most likely) lasting four seasons (Paramount cut their per episode charges by something like half just so it would get picked up for a forth season). However, yes, I like being able to watch a series that is compacted down to a few months. I got into X-Files just past half-way through it’s original run, and was forever confused on the Grand Alien Conspiracy issues until TNT stripped it in with two episodes back to back every weeknight. It would take maybe three weeks per season.

   the only reason they are limping through it is to get to the magical 100 episodes for marketing the re-runs.

The Sci-Fi channel has picked up a lot of short-run shows (some of them only consisting of one season), but they can’t be paying much for them either. And ST:TOS can sell a 79-ep catalog by virtue of the fact that it has such a vocally religious fanbase, but even the hard-core trekkies have been booing Enterprise. If they do hit 100 eps, that’ll be about their only major selling point.

Cat-suited alien space babe with technically enhanced boobage?

   I kinda do hope they make it into syndication. I wouldn’t mind breezing through everything in half a year just to see what I missed the first time around. The general lameness of the show was only half of the reason I stopped watching, but the severe reception problems I experienced because the local UPN station consists of a bunch of dinky little ex-weather-stations that often come in no better than stations that are 10x as far away pretty much killed any desire to hang on in hopes of better days.

Can’t say that I care much for the time-tripping pre-destination stuff. I’ve always felt it was a dangerous area to go into - the only way to guard against some time-tripping starship destroying your incipient civilization is by writer’s contrivances. Really obvious ones, too. I’ve kinda ignored the inconsistencies with the rest of Trek, if only because I found Deep Six Trek and ST: Lost in Space tedious and gave up on them quickly. Dunno why I have stuck with ST:E - maybe because it was at least in the original vein of moving pro-actively about the universe rather than tehtered to a space station or just blundering around destined to never get home until the ratings couldn’t sustain you any longer. I usually lose interest in TV shows after a while - for the original Star Trek I even passed on signing a second petition to keep it on the air (they slashed the budget (like ST:E) and the writing got really bad even for me at that age).

-->Bruce<--