 Off-Topic / Debate / 24928
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:51:53 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   I see your point and I agree. What is interesting, though, is the case of Germany and South Korea who, in essence, used US presence as “free” defense against Communism for about 50 years, so there is a precendent for this type of presence. But, of course, the ideal would be for us to leave at the soonest opportunity possible.

Ah, but in both cases, the U.S.S.R. was providing direct assistance on the other side of the fence. When one of the two world super-powers is supporting the opposing side of the conflict, there is no shame in asking the other one to help you out (in fact, it was kinda expected, as it was basically the only way the US and U.S.S.R. could fight with each other without destroying everything, kinda like the Vorlons and Shadows of B5).

Nuts! I am a huge fan of ST:TNG, ST:DN9, and ST:V, but I never got into B5. I guess I’ll never know what you are talking about;-)

“A Private Little War” from ST:TOS where the Klingons were arming one side, and Kirk had to arm the otehr side to keep the fight ‘even’. Kinda like the Vorlons and Shadows...

Nuts again. While I acknowledge ST:TOS as the mother of them all, and I watched it a little as a kid, it is too cheesy for my taste now. Ever since the third season of ST:TNG, however, they have all been gold. BUT, the jury is still out on ST:E. I really want to like it, but I think I have become accustomed to 24th century amenities such as replicators and holodecks:-)

JOHN