 Off-Topic / Geek / 4759
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:48:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Laswell wrote:
   Three factors have always prevented me from enjoying the series. First, I can’t stand most of the cast (Flounder and Tron and the woman from The Hidden, et all). Second, I really really really don’t like the CGI graphics, which to me always looked like a sub-par game demo. And third, I was never really into the story, inasmuch as I was able to get a handle on it.

How much of it did you watch?

Admittedly, not much. I caught bits of episodes here and there (which, I grant, is not the best way to get one’s teeth into a longterm space opera). I saw a good bit of the pilot, one episode with Checkov, and a chunk of the finale.

   I know that good CGI would have upped the cost per episode, but if you can’t
do it at least as well as the then-current Star Trek series, you’ll really look lame by comparison. Also, I know that fans of the show adore the conceived-as-a-whole storyline, and if you’re into that, then it’s fine. But it just never appealed to me.

The first two seasons were basically perched on the edge of then-current CGI capabilities. The only computers that were able to handle the rigorous demands of their SFX department at that time were Amigas. That was about the point when someone realized that there was a real market for a state-of-the-art PC version of the Video Toaster and actually developed and sold something better than the dinosaur systems they’d been using until that point. The SFX improved greatly through the course of the five years, but there’s no way even a Star Trek budget could have produced the series with physical effects, and these guys were doing it on quite a bit less. And they were sharing that tiny budget with a make-up crew that put the entire ST franchise to shame, with a diversity and quantity of background aliens that would have been right at home in a Star Wars movie.

I don’t mean to begrudge them their budgetary shortfalls--I suffer from those same constraints in real life! But I’ve gotten spoiled by other contemporary SFX, and B5 suffered as a result. Regardless, I commend B5 for having a better menagerie of non-humanoid aliens, which are much more interesting than Star Trek’s generic-alien-with-head-prosthetic.

On the other hand, there was a scene in the finale in which Tron was floating through some big space-fighter fracas in a spacesuit, while one of the bone-headed people watched from some kind of monitoring station on B5. The CGI of Tron in his suit was terribly weak, with bumpy transitions between facial closeups and wide-angle shots of the whole scene. And the monitoring room looked like nothing so much as a person sweeping her gaze back and forth in front of a weatherman’s bluescreen. So this was the finale, presumably the last blast of the SFX they were able to showcase, and it came across as a jarringly executed CGI test run. Again, I understand the problems of budget, but it you can’t do it right, then you don’t want to do it wrong, either.

   I also know that fans point to the real-world treatment of physics re: spaceship flight etc., and I admit that that’s a good touch (nicely echoed in the recent Battlestar Galactica miniseries). Out of curiosity (and because I can’t remember), did the Starfuries make a noise while in space? I’m not dissing them if they did, because almost all SF does it, too.

Honestly, I can’t remember. If they did, Franke’s music (original compositions tailored to every episode) probably covered most of it up. I do remember that the Shadow ships sounded similar to TIE Fighters, but I believe that was supposed to be a telepathic scream that you wouldn’t actually “hear”.

Ah, the spectre of technobabble rears its head in B5-world as well as in Star Trek! Still, I guess that’s better than spaceborne sound reaching the listener at the same time the enemy’s ship is seen exploding in the distance.

Dave!