 Off-Topic / Debate / 24912
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   I agree, but it wouldn’t be right to leave them before they were ready and able to defend their land and freedom on their own. And what is the rush, anyway? We are a powerful ally, and a valuable resource. The smart would utilize us, not banish us (not to mention the grateful)

Because the longer we stay there, the more it looks like they’re a puppet government controlled by the US. And if they can’t stand on their own without having us there to quell rebellion, they effectively are, by virtue of the fact that we’d pull out in a New York second if they started spouting anti-US rhetoric like the Taliban were. To put it in simpler terms, imagine how you’d feel right now if France was still maintaining a massive military presence in the US to keep the torries from resubmitting the country to English control. And imagine what the world would think of US policy if it was being propped up by the French (not any specific policies, thank you, but in terms of whether it’s really coming from us, or our “protective overlords”).

I see your point and I agree. What is interesting, though, is the case of Germany and South Korea who, in essence, used US presence as “free” defense against Communism for about 50 years, so there is a precendent for this type of presence. But, of course, the ideal would be for us to leave at the soonest opportunity possible.

JOHN