 Off-Topic / Debate / 24887
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:38:18 GMT

Do we have the responsibility to right every wrong in the world?

Every wrong?  No more than the next guy, which is to say that we shouldn't just
ignore them if we have the power to coerce them to go away, and we shouldn't be
unwilling to step up and correct them by force if it's unconscionable not to do
so.

In this particular case, the "wrong" was first put in charge of Iraq by _our_
government, and again left in power by our government the last time we tangled
with him, in spite of our promises to help the Iraqi Kurds at least wrest their
freedom from him, if not remove him entirely from the situation.  I'd say we
bore more responsibility to right this wrong than we did to remove the Taliban
from power (that was more a matter of justification than responsibility, since
they were clearly whoring out their land for Al-Qaeda training camps).