 Off-Topic / Debate / 24886
Re: Nike sued over a stick-man drawing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:45:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Saskia van Doesburg wrote:
I agree, the principle of the stickman is of course very old. But the look of
the character and movements, he might have a point there.

You can see the movie here if you want.
http://homepage.mac.com/bdunnan/Meteors/videos/NikeStickman.mov (3,6 MB)

Okay, I've watched it now.  Thanks for the link, BTW.  It's actually quite an
amusing little ad.

Now, Even though the Nike version moves in a less jerky manner, pulls all kinds
of weird body stunts that the xiaoxiao version doesn't, interacts with real
people instead of other stickmen, and doesn't go around killing everyone in
sight, I can see how he'd think they ripped off his idea.  I still see a number
of differences in the character design.  The Nike version has curved shoulders
(this is easiest to see when the stickman first appears onscreen) where the
xiaoxiao version has arms that originate inside the neck.  The Nike version's
head is also not attached to the torso, and it's tall and skinny, and really
only closely resembles the xiaoxiao version from a few uncommon scenes like the
Matrix kick at the end of #3.  There are enough differences in the way it's
constructed and the way it moves that I could see Nike winning this, especially
when you consider the recent round of AOL ads.