 Off-Topic / Debate / 24853
Re: Nike sued over a stick-man drawing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:13:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Saskia van Doesburg wrote:
   In search for the nike commercial I find this http://www.woosoccer.com/images/fdscoach.JPG I find that funny. :-)

The image link didn’t work right because it was in FTX (gotta watch out for those underscores). It should work right in this post, though.

   I have seen the commercial and I think the guy has a point. The stickman-animations are well known on the internet. I know in my education as an animator, the stickman movies were a must see.

Do you mean the xiaoxiao movies? I agree that they’re amusing (and by “they”, I mean #3+, since the first two were pretty stale), but it’s still just a stickman. Given that the basic stickman hearkens back to the days when internet animations were called “cave paintings”, it seems a bit presumptive to think that you can copyright the basic stickman (which is what the article seems to suggest he’s trying to do). If he hopes to have a chance of getting it to stand up in court, he’d have to prove that he invented the stickman, or at least be able to show a specific geometry that he consistantly uses. Given that the stickman looks completely different in close-up than it does from a distance, that’s pretty hard to justify.

Now, if he’s saying that Nike ripped off the look of the movies and not the “character”, he might stand a chance of winning his case. I haven’t seen this commercial yet, but the way the article was presented very much suggests that he’s claiming copyright on the stick-figure design as his justification.