 Off-Topic / Debate / 24854
24853  |  24855
Subject:
polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:23:33 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

Shameless diversion aside, I agree. Let’s get back to biblical principles. How many wives and concubines did Soloman have again?

This is very OT (excuse the pun); for a NT ref see Matthew 25:1-12: “...the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom....” ;)

Relevance? (as if polygamy was a “biblical principle”).

(I think you mean polygyny). It was certainly common in historic Israel in “biblical times” up to the early 100s AD; 2nd wives were covered in Moses’ Laws (see Deuteronomy 21:15-17)… I think he even had a 2nd wife~(?). I am pretty sure modern Israel allows members of a branch of the Jewish faith take a second wife... but this may just be a legal anachronism.

Further reading: www.biblicalpolygamy.com (I have not toured this site, but I love the URL!).

Scott A