 Off-Topic / Debate / 24868
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   Relevance? (as if polygamy was a “biblical principle”).

(I think you mean polygyny).

The term “polygamy” has the advantage of covering both polygyny and polyandry (and being a term that most people have actually heard of). Yes, the bible really only deals with polygyny, but it can be politically advantageous to lump them together when trying to pass laws to outlaw either of them. That way, if you’re really only concerned about polygyny, you not only get votes from people who are specifically against polygyny and people who are against polygamy in general, but you might swing in a few votes from people who really only object to polyandry and see this as their chance to go after it.

Honestly, I can’t even think of any societies that specifically allowed polyandry. I know the Mormon, Muslim, and Jewish faiths have or still do allow polygyny, and I remember hearing about various hippie communes in the US where you basically married the group (every woman was each man’s wife, and every man was each woman’s husband). Polygyny makes at least a miniscule amount of sense from a biological aspect, where, much like a pride of lions, those men who can support large families are better able to breed large families, but with polyandry you’re still limited to how fast the woman can carry each child to term regardless of the number of husbands she has, so it would have to be politically motivated (and I’m not saying that polygyny/polygamy aren’t), which means it’d probably have to come from a purely matriarchal society. And again, I can’t think offhand of any major societies that were, unless you count mythical societies like the Greek Amazons.