 Off-Topic / Debate / 24874
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:08:15 GMT

Purple Dave wrote:

Honestly, I can't even think of any societies that specifically allowed
polyandry.  I know the Mormon, Muslim, and Jewish faiths have or still do allow
polygyny, and I remember hearing about various hippie communes in the US where
you basically married the group (every woman was each man's wife, and every man
was each woman's husband).  Polygyny makes at least a miniscule amount of sense
from a biological aspect, where, much like a pride of lions, those men who can
support large families are better able to breed large families, but with
polyandry you're still limited to how fast the woman can carry each child to
term regardless of the number of husbands she has, so it would have to be
politically motivated (and I'm not saying that polygyny/polygamy aren't), which
means it'd probably have to come from a purely matriarchal society.

This begs the question - with over 6 BILLION humans on this earth, do we REALLY
need to make it easier for Breeders to spit out more humans than they should be?

The earth would be far better off if we'd figure a *humane* way to scale the world
population back a bit.  OK, more than a bit, cut it in half at least.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/