 Off-Topic / Debate / 24883
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

The earth would be far better off if we'd figure a *humane* way to scale the world
population back a bit.  OK, more than a bit, cut it in half at least.

But there IS a humane way. Help societies to move away from subsistence
agriculture (and the modern sweatshop equivalent) by introducing the rule of
law, property rights, and fostering the growth of free enterprise.

This reduces the incentive to have so many kids since kids no longer are a
source of income, they're an expense. People will make the right choices.

It possibly has the side benefit of increasing peace... democracies tend to/seem
to go to war less. (the studies on this have been subject to some debunking
recently)

The only downside is the increased energy budget per person that seems to be
required. But that's solvable too, as long as the true energy cost is made
visible to the economic decision makers (i.e. the consumers).