 Off-Topic / Debate / 24884
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:15:46 GMT

If the officer didn't get involved in the situation outside of his
juristiction in the first place, and let the citizens of that local
community handle it, hey, no harm no foul.

At least, thats the way it's gonna look.

At least, that's how you _hope_ it'll look when you choose not to get involved.
It seems that half of the Middle East hates us because we did get involved in
one situation, and half of the Middle east hates us because we didn't in
another, so there's apparently a difference of opinion depending on which side
they're on.

Again, I'm debating this and I haven't totally made up my mind.  Is there an
exit strategy for the US that, today, will not embolden terrorist
organizations around the world, and not leave the Iraqi people
(again!) 'hangin' out to dry'?

Long term or short term?  In the short term, we assist the new Iraqi government
until they ask us to leave (and hope they don't become permanently dependant
upon us).  In the long term, we hope and pray that the new Iraqi government
doesn't begin to collapse the instant our last soldier steps off Iraqi soil,
because if we have to run back and save them, we've already failed.