 Off-Topic / Debate / 24867
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:52:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

And, make no mistake we're losing it. This is a significant defeat, I think.

What is the war for?  What would constitute a victory?  A defeat?

This WAS an unimportant war before it started...
but if the US loses it, it's a defeat for the US, so it has become an important
one to win. And I don't see how it CAN be won, any more.

Is that to say that it is somehow critically important for the US to win every
war?  Is it possible that it would be good for the American gestalt psyche for
us to lose a few?  Maybe it would make us ask a few questions before going in.

These questions should have already been asked, and were asked, by those that
compared this to the similarities to the Vietnam war--but those were brushed
aside as 'unpatriotic'.

The difference here is that, whereas the US evacuation in '75 did not 'embolden'
NK to further expand into areas that they were not currently in, a US retreat,
defeat, loss, whatever you want to call it, now in Iraq will embolden terrorist
organizations to more terroist activities, for they will equate the US 'pull
out' as lack of will to stand against 'em.

Would a quick victory after (say) 2 months of conflict have emboldened Bush?

Scott A