 Off-Topic / Debate / 24930
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:18:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   Nuts! I am a huge fan of ST:TNG, ST:DN9, and ST:V, but I never got into B5. I guess I’ll never know what you are talking about;-)

It’s never too late to get started. The entire series is out on DVD, along with the two more pivotal MfTV movies. All you’d really need to do is buy or rent the first three seasons, or even just the third season (since that’s where this whole bit comes to a head).

Three factors have always prevented me from enjoying the series. First, I can’t stand most of the cast (Flounder and Tron and the woman from The Hidden, et all). Second, I really really really don’t like the CGI graphics, which to me always looked like a sub-par game demo. And third, I was never really into the story, inasmuch as I was able to get a handle on it.

I know that good CGI would have upped the cost per episode, but if you can’t do it at least as well as the then-current Star Trek series, you’ll really look lame by comparison. Also, I know that fans of the show adore the conceived-as-a-whole storyline, and if you’re into that, then it’s fine. But it just never appealed to me.

I also know that fans point to the real-world treatment of physics re: spaceship flight etc., and I admit that that’s a good touch (nicely echoed in the recent Battlestar Galactica miniseries). Out of curiosity (and because I can’t remember), did the Starfuries make a noise while in space? I’m not dissing them if they did, because almost all SF does it, too.

Dave!