 Off-Topic / Debate / 24857
24856  |  24858
Subject:
Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:06:14 GMT

Most of you know I am no fan of our present little war.

However:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=4&u=/ap/20040719/ap_on_re_as/philippines_iraq

... that seems the wrong way to exit. Those who point out that this action shows
that threatening hostages to try to influence countries is now more likely
rather than less have a valid point, I think.

... Win the war, lose the peace, I said before. I was wrong. The war wasn't over
then (when I said it), it was still going on, I just didn't realise it.

And, make no mistake we're losing it. This is a significant defeat, I think.

There's a saying... "choose your battles, so you can win the ones that matter
rather than wasting effort on those that don't". The bushies never heard of it,
apparently, or chose unwisely. This WAS an unimportant war before it started...
but if the US loses it, it's a defeat for the US, so it has become an important
one to win. And I don't see how it CAN be won, any more.

How much better it would have been to have chosen not to fight this one in the
first place.

"Honest friendship with all who wish it, entangling alliances with none"
Our friendship with dictators is dishonest to the people they oppress. Our
alliances drag us into no win situations.

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
The bushies walk loudly and carry inadequate sticks.